This information is subject to current research, so will be updated from time to time.
As you can see this medal is from the first year that the Croquet Association ran the All England Handicap event (1923), but E.H. Cartwright was not the winner, so it’s assumed he was just one of the finalists.
According to the archives of the Tunbridge Wells Lawn Tennis Club this club started as the Tunbridge Wells Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in 1899 at the Nevill Ground, following the opening of the Nevill Ground in 1898 (football was played in winter at this point).
By 1906 the whole area had been taken over by tennis and croquet and an immediate consequence was “a tremendous jump in membership” according to the 1938 edition of the Kent and Sussex Courier.
There is also a reference to the club in Pelton’s Illustrated Guide to Royal Tunbridge Wells in 1912.
In 1923 the the Courier reported that an annual open Croquet Tournament was held in the Nevill Ground for 5 days in its 22nd and 29th June issues: “is gaining in popularity, as evidenced by the increased entries and the fact that more Class A players have entered”. About 40 players entered, being divided into 4 classes – Class A was for the Latimer Cup (Dr H.A. Latimer was President of the tournament), had 13 players and was won by C.S Wentworth-Reeve. E.H. Cartwright won the Class B event. There were also Handicap Singles and Handicap Doubles events.
By 1931 the croquet lawns had been replaced by hard tennis courts, so it’s assumed the Croquet Club part had ceased by this time.